- The VALERIE brochure contains information on Valerie - the project background, methodology, aims and partners involved:
- The first VALERIE Newsletter (Summer 2015) contains information ‘about VALERIE’ and on the 1st presentation of the “ask-Valerie.eu” search engine, an outline of the VALERIE themes, brief updates on the VALERIE case studies and information on upcoming VALERIE related events:
- The winter 2016/17 VALERIE Newsletter contains information on the goals of VALERIE, brief updates on the VALERIE case studies, details of the ask-Valerie.eu virtual advisor tool including its unique features & feedback received to date, and the aims for 2017:
- VALERIE Newsletter - Winter 2016/17 (English only)
- The autumn 2017 VALERIE Newsletter contains information on the goals of VALERIE, a brief background to the VALERIE case studies, in depth updates (including trial information) on three of the case studies (Innovative Arable Cropping, Sustainable Forest Management & Ecosystem Services; Sustainable Potato Supply Chains), the latest news on the ask-Valerie tool, and what next for the ask-Valerie tool:
- VALERIE Newsletter - Autumn 2017 (English only)
- The autumn 2016 VALERIE update contains information on the goals of VALERIE, a brief update on the VALERIE case studies, details of the ask-Valerie.eu virtual advisor tool including its unique features and feedback received to date:
VALERIE Case Study Stakeholder trial/demonstration leaflets
- Consulting stakeholders in the case studies has been key to the development of the ask-Valerie tool. In the process the project has provided the case studies with information on innovations & given them the opportunity to test selected innovations in trials or demonstrations. These trials/demonstrations (including results) have been summarised:
- Potato brown spot issues in the supply chain in northern Poland: testing the susceptibility of potato varieties to Tobacco Rattle Virus (English version)
- Demonstrating the use of wood ash as a forest fertilizer on mineral forest soils in the Joensuu area, Finland (English version)
- Sustainable innovative practices in the central region of France: a focus on soil structure assessment in the field (English version)
- Using LiDAR to inform joint forest management planning with a forest owners group in Roncal, Navarra, Spain (English version)
- Demonstration of combined cropping of wheat and lentils (English version)
- The use of leaf treatment on the infection rate of neck rot in Onions in The Netherlands (English version)
- Sampling for quality assessment and improvement for a wheat supply chain in Alessandria, Italy (English version)
- Fusarium Head Blight Sensitivity of bread wheat variety in Alessandria, Italy (English version)
- Evaluation of biostimulants in the bread wheat value-chain, Alessandria, Italy (English version)
- Cover crop experiences of farmers in Alessandria, Italy (English version)
- Maize and Tomato drip irrigation in Alessandria, Italy (English version)
- Public summary of the first periodic report (1.1.2014 – 30.6.2015)
- Public summary of the second periodic report (1.7.2015 – 31.12.2016)
Articles in trade journals and industry magazines
- EFIMED Network News, April 2015
- EIP-AGRI Agrinnovation magazine, September 2015
- Navarraforestal: number 37 (versión en castellano), December 2015
- EU DG Research & Innovation web-site, August 2017
VALERIE Final Symposium
- The VALERIE Final Symposium, “Improving Access to Knowledge for Innovation” was held on the 14th November 2017 at the Copa-Cogeca offices in Brussels, Belgium. Eight presentations were given:
- Welcome to the workshop & VALERIE overview - Hein ten Berge; VALERIE project co-ordinator. Presentation.
- Agricultural Knowledge and Innovation in Europe - ‘State of the Art’ - Krijn Poppe, Wageningen University. Presentation.
- Case studies for stakeholder-driven innovation - Julie Ingram. Presentation.
- Capturing knowledge for innovation - Luca Bechini. Presentation.
- Adviser’s perspective - Tom Kelly, Teagasc & EUFRAS. Presentation.
- Networking tools & the latest developments on the EIP-AGRI website - Willemine Brinkman, EIP-AGRI. Presentation.
- Demonstration of the ‘ask-Valerie’ tool - Improving access to knowledge - Nicole Koenderink and Peter M Schuler. Presentation.
- Project achievements and future needs - Hein ten Berge; VALERIE project co-ordinator. Presentation.
Workshops convened by VALERIE
- “Boosting research outputs: novel approaches for integrating research translation with interactive co-innovation” at the 12th European IFSA Symposium: “Social and technological transformation of farming systems: Diverging and converging pathways”, 12th - 15th July 2016, Harper Adams University, UK. Four papers presented:
- Ingram, J., Gaskell, P., Mills, J., Dwyer, J. & de Wolf, P. 2016. Inserting co-innovation into research translation: experiences from the VALERIE project. Paper.
- Kindred, D., Sylvester-Bradley, R., Clarke, S., Roques, S., Smillie, I. & Berry, P. 2016. Agronōmics – an arena for synergy between the science and practice of crop production. Paper.
- Salliou, N., Barnaud, C. & Monteil, C. 2016. Co-innovating in agroecology: integrating stakeholders’ perceptions of using natural enemies and landscape complexity for biological control into the research and innovation process. Paper.
- Stilmant, D. & Jamar, D. 2016. Lessons learned from the implementation of three different research postures within a participatory research framework. Paper.
Contributions to conferences and events
- Willems, D., Koenderink, N.J.J.P. & Top, J.L. (2015). From science to practice: bringing innovations to agronomy and forestry, at the EFITA conference 2015, 29th June - 2nd July 2015, Poznan, Poland. Presentation.
- Newell-Price, J.P., Thorman, R.E., Bechini, L., Ingram, J., Koenderink, N.J.J.P., Top, J.L., Schuler, P.M., van Evert, F.K. & ten Berge, H.F.M. (2015). VALERIE - knowledge exchange for innovation in agriculture and forestry, at the Catchment Science 2015 conference, 28th-30th September, 2015, Wexford, Ireland. Poster. Abstract.
- Wigham, M., Koenderink, N.J.J.P., Tahvildari, D. & Top, J.L. 2016. Ontology building with ROC+: how to make your computer applications as smart as you are?, at the ICT Open 2016 conference, 22nd - 23rd March 2016, Amersfoort, the Netherlands. Poster.
- Schuler, P.M. 2016. Valorising European research for innovation in agriculture and forestry, at the Dissemination Event of the EU Horizon 2020 Societal Challenge 2 Info Week, 27th - 29th June 2016, Brussels, Belgium. Presentation.
- Gorriz Mifsud, E., Olza, L., Montero, E. & Marini Govigli, V. (2017). Retos de la gestión forestal conjunta de propietarios privados, at the Spanish Forestry Congress, 26th - 30th June 2017, Plasencia, Extremadura, Spain. Presentation (in Spanish).
- Ingram, J., Gaskell, P., Mills, J., Dwyer, J. & de Wolf, P. (2017). Integrating co-innovation into research translation: developing a stakeholder-driven methodology, at the 23rd European Seminar on Extension and Education, 4th - 7th July 2017, Chania, Crete, Greece. Presentation.
- Willems, D.J.M., Koenderink, N.J.J.P. & Top, J.L. (2015). From science to practice: Bringing innovations to agronomy and forestry. Journal of Agricultural Informatics 6, 85-95, DOI: 10.17700/jai.2015.6.4.214. http://dx.doi.org/10.17700/jai.2015.6.4.214. Download.
- Hily, Y., Bechini, L., Ingram, J., Koenderink, N.J.J.P., Schuler, P., ten Berge, H.F.M. & Justes, E. (2016). Valoriser les résultats de projets de recherche pour des praticiens agricoles innovants en facilitant l’accès à l’information: le projet européen VALERIE. Agronomie Environnement & Societés, 6(2), 131 - 140. The open access paper can be downloaded at: http://www.agronomie.asso.fr/carrefour-inter-professionnel/evenements-de-lafa/revue-en-ligne/revue-aes-vol6-n2-decembre-2016-savoirs-agronomiques-pour-laction/revue-aes-vol6-n2-20/ or here: Download (in French).
- Bechini, L., Koenderink, N., ten Berge, H.F.M., Corre, W., van Evert, F.K., Facchi, A., Gharsallah, O., Gorriz-Mifsud, E., Grignani, C., den Herder, M., Hily, Y., Justes, E., Lepennetier, A., Moretti, B., Newell-Price, P., Nonini, L., Oberti, R., Ramonteu, S., Rois, M., de Ruijter, F., Sacco, D., Schuler, P.M., Willems, D., Zandstra, A. & Top, J. (2016). Improving Access to Research Outcomes for Innovation in Agriculture and Forestry: The VALERIE Project. Italian Journal of Agronomy 12, - ISSN 1125-4718 - 38 p. DOI: 10.4081/ija.2016.756. The open access paper can be downloaded at: http://www.agronomy.it/index.php/agro/article/view/756
- Ingram, J., Dwyer, J., Gaskell, P., Mills, J. & de Wolf, P. (2018). Reconceptualising translation in agricultural innovation: A co-translation approach to bring research knowledge and practice closer together. Land Use Policy, 70, 38-51. The paper can be downloaded at: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S026483771730580X#tbl0005
- Górriz Mifsud, E., Olza, L., Montero, E. & Marini Govigli, V. (2017). The challenges of coordinating forest owners for joint management. Forest Policy and Economics. In press. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1389934117301752